Friday, February 10, 2006

POTD: By "popular demand" (really just David), here's a little color drawing I did last semester. It didn't photograph well (i.e. I didn't photograph it well), but there it is. And there is a terribly terrible story behind this project. This is part of a triptych, all about documenting a week in the life of a specific location. I chose the area around my dorm, and I documented it throughout the semester rather poorly. This was the second part of the triptych that started as a 24" x 30" piece of Arches Rives BFK, but being the last part of my drawing to do, I ended up cropping the hell out of the sheet. I woke up at 6 AM that morning to finish both the second and the third panels of the project, and with the final critique at 1 PM, I had to hurry my ass up like mad. You have no idea how long it is until your teacher finally lets you use color in a project. Well, she told us we didn't have to yet, because we hadn't really learned about it in class (we're actually doing that finally just now). But I decided to just go for it. All ballsy. Hah. Only my second time ever using colored soft pastels. Jeez, what an experience. So, well, it turned out a lot better than I had expected, and my teacher actually said they were the most satisfying drawings she had seen me do up to that point. But really, I thought it was rushed and poorly observed (most especially in the tree). I hate landscapes, I much prefer drawing people, and this was all done from memory as opposed to photography. Well, this story is getting a little long-winded, so I'll just let you look at the picture and explain what's actually going on in it another time. Yeesh. I have a much more impressive monochrome figure sketch that I'd rather post up, but I haven't taken a photo of it yet, it's still in my cubby at the art school. I'll get that up ASAP. Posted by Picasa

No comments: